Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lazy Summer Day

Today we hid from the heat.  As a lifelong Edmontonian, I am most accustomed to complaining about the cold. However, today I complained about the heat. My car said it was 32 degrees Celsius. Unbearable, especially when you live in a high rise apartment building.
Kavan escaping the heat

One of the side effects we've noticed since Kavan began his chemotherapy a few days ago is flushing and heat intolerance. I had read this was a possibility and started to notice it yesterday morning. One of Kavan's friend actually commented yesterday that Kavan looked very tanned. I guess this may not be such a bad thing at all, HAHA. In all seriousness, I think he found today's heat very difficult to handle. Our outings today were limited to a short hike to the grocery store and quick car rise home.




Liquid Gold
Today I gave Kavan his first injection of Neulasta. This is the super expensive medication that acts on bone marrow to start producing more white blood cells. One of the most serious side effects of chemotherapy is the dangerous lowering of white blood cells, or neutropenia. White blood cells are the cells responsible for our immune response or ability to effectively fight infection. Hopefully this medication will counteract the effects of the chemotherapy and Kavan will be able to maintain some immune system. This little gem costs about $2700.00 per injection and he requires it every three weeks. Do the math on that one! We are so fortunate that this medication is covered!











Thankfully, I was able to give Kavan the injection at home and he didn't need to make another trip to the hospital. I never thought my nursing skills would come in handy. I also changed Kavan's IVAD dressing. I have to say, it's looking fantastic, healing very well!

IVAD looking good!













Tonight we enjoyed a Hyde family dinner. This is a Sunday night tradition and it is something that I have come to enjoy very much. Tonight was even more special as we were celebrating a birthday, Kavan's step-Grandmother, Sheila. Happy birthday Sheila!




Kavan & his nephew, Patrick
Anyways, I hope with each passing day this week Kavan will feel better. I am sorry this is the week that we have a most unusual heat wave in Edmonton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: Comments that are disrespectful in any manner or contain spam messages will not be published. Please remember this is primarily a family blog published with the intent of keeping Kavan's family across the world and friends informed of his progress. Thank you