Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kavan has what?!?

Wow. The last month has really been a whirlwind. It seems impossible that one's life can be seemingly care free and normal and the next minute it's been turned completely upside down. It all started with the discovery of a small lump, just larger than your average bug bite. At first I thought it might be some type of parasite that had burrowed its way in Kavan's leg, wanting to hitch a free ride back to Canada. Boy do I wish this had been the case. After an MRI and surgery we were informed a little over two weeks ago that it was an aggressive type of cancer called Ewings Sarcoma. As much as I despise using google to search medical diagnoses, this is exactly what I did as I, nor anyone I knew had heard of this type of cancer before. Ewings Sarcoma was first described by Dr. James Ewing in 1921. It can arise from a translocation between chromosomes 11 and 22. Basically, chromosome 22 contains the Ewing sarcoma gene and chromosome 11 is responsible for turning the genes on and off. A breakage and subsequent fusion of chromosomes 11 and 22 can result in Ewings sarcoma. Seems unbelievable right? Well it is....Kavan is three in one million adults this happens to. He's quite the rare find, literally.

Mr. Fat Foot. Kavan's foot following tumor removal
Kavan had surgery to remove the tumor June 1, 2012. His surgery and recovery went exceptionally well with the surgeon feeling confident the tumor had been resected completely. It was reported the tumor was approximately the size of a ping pong ball. We are so lucky that Kavan picked up on the lump SO early as the oncologist reported that these tumors can grow at an astonishing rate and even double their size in less than one week. The fact that his tumor was removed at such an early stage is a strong predictor of Kavan's successful treatment. Thank goodness for that!

So now what? Kavan has been prescribed an intensive 48 week treatment regimen. This includes chemotherapy cycles as well as localized radiation. Looking at the schedule is extremely overwhelming, but I have faith that Kavan will do just fine.  In fact, Kavan is the happiest person I know. In my four years I can't seem to recall one day where he was unhappy or stressed. I am often quite envious of this trait as I am very much the opposite. I guess what they say is true, opposites do attract.

Today:
After an already full week, Kavan had his IVAD port placed. Basically this port prevents Kavan from needing IV pokes each time he requires his chemotherapy. I was hoping for this port. Sick, I know. Knowing the alternatives, I felt this would be the most painless, least likely to clot and easiest to maintain a somewhat normal lifestyle with. That means he can swim, bike and skate while having his treatments. This has been of the utmost importance to him. Knowing that he can partake in some of the physical activity that makes him the happiest, makes me happy. The procedure went very well and Kavan was in good spirits afterwards. Much to his dismay they had to shave his chest. I think he was hoping for a few more weeks with his already sparse chest hairs.
Kavan after his IVAD insertion. Still looks handsome even after surgery!

Tomorrow his chemotherapy begins. The first week of 48. I find comfort in the fact he is starting so early and the earlier we start, the earlier we finish. Though I am aware of the potential side effects the chemotherapy may have, I am eager for him to start. He will alternate between 1 and 5 day cycles of chemotherapy. These cycles will be separated by about 2 weeks of recovery time in which he will have appointments with his oncologist and lab work.  As well, he will receive a pricey injection called neulasta which will act on his bone marrow to produce white blood cells. One of the major side effects of chemotherapy is neutropenia. This is a lowering of the white blood cell count. White blood cells are crucial in preventing/fighting infection. I will receive teaching on how to administer this medication tomorrow morning. I am sure he is dreading that I will be the one administering the medication....


Why Blog?

Kavan at his recent University graduation.
I find the process of sharing my thoughts to be very cathartic. This is not the first time I have blogged, however I think this is the most important. When I spoke with Kavan about the prospect of blogging about his Ewing's Sarcoma experience, he wholeheartedly agreed that it would a good idea. With his family being so spread out across the globe, blogging would be a good way to keep family members informed of his progress. It would also be an excellent forum for friends and family to share well-wishes. I also think of the other 2 out of the three in one million and how comforting it would be to know that there is someone else out there that can relate. Kavan and I have started the habit of each day telling each other what we are happiest about. I know for myself this experience has really enabled me to take a new lease on life. What I believed to be the most important before almost seems trivial now. So please family and friends share your well wishes. Kavan would love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to set up a blog!

    Kavan, l'd love to join you for a bike or swim.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do believe, that any deep crisis is an opportunity to make your life extraordinary in some way!

    Kavan, you have always been my active and lively younger brother, who has strengths I could only wish for. I am so proud of all the amazing things you have accomplished in life and look so forward to all the amazing blessings that will come in the future. You have a family who love you dearly and will be there to annoy you every step of the way!

    We are truly never far from where we need to be. God would not have brought us to this place in our life, if He didn't have something for us to receive. Keep a strong and open heart for all the beautiful experiences each day. And remember, we love you!!

    Kerri-Ann <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kavan! You don't even know me but Kerri-Ann has talked about you OFTEN at work and sent me the link to the blog. Well, just know you even have perfect strangers routing for you! Very glad you caught it early and good luck and prayers for the treatments! Seems you have all the support you could ask for :) Kick it's *ss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to start a blog! A good way to keep everyone updated and not answer the same questions all the time.

    Kavan is one of the most easy going and positive people I know, and I truly believe that a positive attitude has a large part in fighting illness and disease. So, keep being who you are!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Comments that are disrespectful in any manner or contain spam messages will not be published. Please remember this is primarily a family blog published with the intent of keeping Kavan's family across the world and friends informed of his progress. Thank you