Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Week 21, Day 3

Kavan remains in considerable pain. He says that his foot is extremely swollen and the sore on the back of his ankle remains open and oozing. He continues to have difficulties in mobilizing and just really wants to sit and elevate his foot. Ouch!

Despite all of this, he gets up and goes to work each day. I actually told him this weekend that maybe he should consider staying home this week. He felt that he wanted to go because he didn't want to let his employer and clients down. If that isn't a prime example of perseverance, then I don't know what is. Words cannot fully express how proud I am of him. He's truly a model for all of us.

Today Kavan and I had a conversation about how he's been doing lately. Of course, as per usual, Kavan said he was doing well, "I'm good". I said back to him, "you know it's ok to say that you're not doing well, right?".  He replied that he thought he was good so that is what he would tell people. While I am happy that he is "good", I think that some people forget the gravity of Kavan's situation. At the end of the day, he is fighting a life-threatening cancer and it is alright to not be "good" each day. I appreciate his positive nature and will to proceed with normal life but hope that he asks those around him for help when needed. I know that this past month and a half of radiation treatments has really taken a toll on him. Kavan is an active individual who so much enjoys sport and exercise. He really hasn't been able to engage in any of those activities since the start of radiation and I believe it's been really hard on him. He might not say so outright, but I can see it. So, let's all hope that these next few weeks pass quickly, his ankle heals, and he may resume the activities he so loves.

I guess this is one of the perks of radiation....a scooter at Wal-Mart



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: Comments that are disrespectful in any manner or contain spam messages will not be published. Please remember this is primarily a family blog published with the intent of keeping Kavan's family across the world and friends informed of his progress. Thank you