Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tales from a chemotherapy ward...

Well, Kavan's just about half way through this cycle of chemotherapy. Only three more days to go. I think this cycle has been especially difficult so far because not only does he have 8 hours of chemotherapy but he also has radiation. A double whammy! It's been going well so far...I can't wait until it's over so we can celebrate Kavan's birthday this weekend.

The last few times I've gone to visit Kavan he's mentioned the bickering that sometimes occurs between chemotherapy patients. Not part of this bickering, Kavan tends to be a silent witness just wanting to take in these comedic exchanges. What could patients possibly being arguing about you ask? Well...they bicker about who has it worse. "My diagnosis is worse than yours because....But my treatment is X number of weeks....Well, I'm probably going to die sooner..."

I'm sure you get the picture. I'm glad he finds some sort of comedic relief in such absurdity. It's sort of funny to see individuals who wear their diagnosis/treatment regimen like a badge of honor. Like this is some sort of competition to be won. Unfortunately, the "I'm worse" contest is not one you really want to win because ultimately you will be the biggest loser of your life.

I'm thankful Kavan does not feel the need to engage in such a pointless debate. I cannot say enough how much I admire his positive attitude through all of this. Kav, you are a winner in my eyes!


Visitors on Day 1 Chemo: My Dad, Auntie Jan & Kavan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: Comments that are disrespectful in any manner or contain spam messages will not be published. Please remember this is primarily a family blog published with the intent of keeping Kavan's family across the world and friends informed of his progress. Thank you