Monday, June 3, 2013

One Year Ago....

One year ago, on June 1, 2012, Kavan had the surgery that would change his life forever. It's hard to believe this all began a little over one year ago. Now, don't mistake this for nostalgia, I'm not sure that I would look upon this past year with fond memory. I think for Kavan and those close to him, including myself, it has been a year full of personal challenges. The challenge to have faith and remain hopeful in the face of extreme adversity, the challenge to maintain a "normal life" while battling cancer and, the challenge to remain physically well while essentially receiving poisons.

Kavan's foot following surgery last June


I have to say, Kavan handled the events of this past year with such grace. I look to him with fond admiration and a slight twinge of jealousy, as I am not always capable of handling stressors in my life in the same manner. I don't know anyone else who could've handled things so well and I am so proud to say he's mine. (I know not officially quite yet!)

Kavan on the day his IVAD port was inserted
Now on to the update, overall Kavan has been feeling quite well. He was tired over the weekend and is noticing that he is becoming more tired with physical exertion. I'm sure his body is exhausted from all the fighting and regenrating it must do. One more treatment to go....

We are planning a BIG celebration on Tuesday, June 25th to mark the end of Kavan's treatments and transition from cancer patient to cancer survivor. I cannot contain my excitement. The party will be a bit of a fundraiser so that a donation may be made in Kavan's name to the cancer charity of his choice. I know that he really would like to give back to the system that has treated him so well over the past year. So, if you can make it, please join in our celebration!

When: Tuesday, June 25th @ 6:30pm
Where: GoodFellows Pub Edmonton (3046 106 St NW, Edmonton)
Cost: $20.00 at the door, (includes a little food and donation to charity)

For those who love Kavan but are unable to attend this event, he is also collecting donations online for the Canadian Cancer Society. To donate please visit the link below:

Click here to donate for Kavan's team!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: Comments that are disrespectful in any manner or contain spam messages will not be published. Please remember this is primarily a family blog published with the intent of keeping Kavan's family across the world and friends informed of his progress. Thank you