Sunday, July 14, 2013

Transition

Wow, it's been almost two weeks since I've written on the blog. I'm sure some were anxious to hear about Kavan's progress since finishing chemotherapy on June 17. I'd like so say a big thank you again to all those who attended Kavan's party on June 25th, as well as those who donated from afar. An extra BIG BIG thanks to the Scambler family, the Hyde family and the Cornish family. So many were instrumental in organizing the party and making it a big success. I know Kavan is grateful for all the help!

The lack of blog over the past couple of weeks did not mean all was quiet with Kavan. In fact, Kavan has been consumed with scans and appointments. He's practically glowing from all the CTs, MRI and PET scans he's had in these last two weeks. Friday was a busy day for Kavan. He learned the news we've all been waiting for.....he's CANCER FREE!! All of his scans have come back completely clear. I think we're all breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. It feels like we've been waiting an eternity to hear such news!

In addition to his final bloodwork/check-up with Dr.Chu on Friday, Kavan also had his IVAD port removed. Hurray! Now I will no longer have to carry everything! I can't tell you how many times we'd be out in public and I would be schlepping all of our bags while Kavan strolled along comfortably. Those who weren't wise to the situation I'm sure thought he was a big jerk! I've told him that for the next year (once he's healed) that he will be carrying EVERYTHING!

While it is fantastic Kavan is finished his active cancer treatment, this battle against ewing's sarcoma is far from over. Kavan will be monitored quite intensively for the coming five years. The next two years will involve visits/scans every three months and two years after that it will be every six months. Now, for me at least, it will morph into a battle of the psyche, and trying not to become too anxious about test results. I hope that people remember that though the treatment over, there are lasting effects and follow ups to think about. I've recently come across a fantastic article basically outlining the same points. Here's the link:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/anxiety-lingers-long-after-cancer/?ref=health

On to the exciting news....we are off on Friday to start our travels overseas! Friday morning we will be flying to Tel-Aviv, Israel! Very exciting we get to celebrate Kavan's transition from cancer patient to cancer survivor. I think we are all in desperate need of a vacation!

Please check back for travel pictures and updates. I will be travelling with my computer and hoping to update quite often! Have a good week!

Proudly displaying his latest battle wound-IVAD removal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: Comments that are disrespectful in any manner or contain spam messages will not be published. Please remember this is primarily a family blog published with the intent of keeping Kavan's family across the world and friends informed of his progress. Thank you